According to CBC News, Anonymous hacked into the Montreal Formula F1 ticket purchasing database and posted details about 130 people who had bought tickets for the car race. The protest was directed against the Quebec government’s Bill 78 and in solidarity with the student strike and social unrest in that province. On April 20, 2012, Anonymous also conducted a cyber-attack against the Bahrain F1 race in solidarity with the opposition movement there.
Montreal F1 ticket-buyers’ info hacked
CBC News, May 30, 2012
More than 130 people who bought tickets to next week’s Formula One race in Montreal have had their personal information posted online, seemingly by the hacker collective Anonymous.
The names, email addresses and phone numbers of 131 ticket buyers were posted, along with the class of tickets purchased, the price paid and the date they were bought.
CBC News contacted several people on the list who confirmed all the information posted about them.
Anonymous had threatened to go after the Montreal F1 race as part of its campaign against Bill 78, the emergency legislation Quebec passed on May 18 to crack down on nearly 3½ months of student protests.
A web posting accompanying the F1 data leak says, in French, “Anonymous is teaching you to respect sport. Sport’s greatest wealth isn’t money but freedom. Today, Anonymous reminds us of the importance of sportsmanship, which you have debased by your corrupt and authoritarian society.”
The message goes on to say that “the Formula One Grand Prix in Quebec will be embarrassing. Anonymous supports sporting events around the world, but they must uphold the sporting spirit, and thus uphold people’s equality and liberty.”
One of the people whose information was posted, Andres Hurtado of Calgary, confirmed that he spent close to $500 on tickets for the Montreal F1 race weekend, which takes place June 8-10.
“It’s very upsetting that they want to disrupt something like this, kind of an international event, to show whatever their purpose is,” Hurtado said. “I agree that they can freely protest, but when it comes down to something like this — I don’t even live in Montreal and I’m getting attacked by this!”
Mikyo Butler, a technology analyst from Boston, said he didn’t know much about Anonymous but gave the group the benefit of the doubt that it had “good intentions” behind its actions.
“It’s certainly something that can raise awareness, on the one hand. On the other hand, I don’t feel great about having my info compromised,” he said.
Hurtado and Butler bought their tickets in March, but in recent weeks, ticket sales have slowed due to the unrest in Quebec from the student crisis, Montreal Grand Prix organizers said Wednesday.
“For several weeks, ticket sales have been very low, nothing like what we normally see,” race boss François Dumontier told CBC’s French-language service.
Anonymous’s previous offensives against the Quebec government temporarily downed several ministries’ websites and are thought to have shut down the Quebec Liberal Party’s site as well.
Earlier this week, the hacker collective posted online a two-hour-long private video of Quebec Premier Jean Charest and other dignitaries, including former prime ministers Jean Chrétien and Brian Mulroney and former U.S. president George H.W. Bush, hobnobbing with corporate and political elites at an opulent birthday party for Jacqueline Desmarais, wife of Power Corp. ex-CEO Paul Desmarais.
The video, filmed at the Desmarais family’s estate in Quebec’s Charlevoix region, captures a sumptuous, multimillion-dollar white-tie affair involving performances by a symphony orchestra, singing from Quebec rocker Robert Charlebois and tenor Marc Hervieux, and dozens of cabaret performers, kitchen staff and valets.
Anonymous hits Formula 1 in support of Bahrain’s protesters
Just hours before the start of Formula 1’s practice session at the Bahrain Grand Prix, Anonymous brought down the official F1 website in a denial of service (DoS) attack. The hacker collective said the attack was in support of Bahrain’s protest movement, which was crushed last year by the minority Sunni monarchy.
Before bringing the entire website down, Anonymous posted a message on fan site f1-racers.net, condemning Bahrain King Hamad bin al-Khalifa for what they called “murder.”
“Not only is the Human Rights situation in Bahrain tragic, it becomes more drastic with each passing day. For these reasons the F1 Grand Prix in Bahrain should be strongly opposed. The Al Khalifa regime stands to profit heavily off the race and has promised to use live ammunition against protestors in preparation,” read the statement posted to formula1.com, signed, “We Do Not Forgive. We Do Not Forget. Expect Us.0x0 was and still is here. Join #OpBahrain.”